2003 Aug 13 14:48

Re: [vox-tech] X server crashed?

Have you checked the X server logs to see if there are any unusual
entries in there?  This log will be called something like
/var/log/XFree86.0.log although the exact name may vary by distribution.
Look for entries that start with "(WW)" or "(EE)".

Have you upgraded X or any related libraries lately?  If you use a
distribution like Debian or Gentoo, have you done the equivalent of an
"apt-get upgrade" or "emerge world" lately?  Do you have an
nvidia graphics card which uses the hardware accelerated kernel module?

Do you have files in your home directory called .xinitrc or .xsession?
If so, what are their contents?

Finally, does X start up (and stay up) if you just run "xinit" ?  This
should load X, but without any window manager.  If that works, then the
problem is probably related to starting your window manager.

Matt