2003 Aug 16 17:18

[vox-tech] Re: Things changing overnight

[vox-tech] Re: Things changing overnight

> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:22:13 -0700
> From: Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu>
> To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Things changing overnight

> > On 2003.08.09 22:47, Ken Bloom wrote:
> >> Sometime in the past few days, my modem /dev/ttyS4 changed its=20
> >> permissions from 660 to 640 without my intervention. My first=20
> >> question: is there any kind of security package on debian that might=20
> >> have done this as a cronjob? I don't use devfs.
> >=20
> > I'm thinking this might now be the responsibility of /etc/init.d/
> > makedev, but haven't found the bug that would be causing this yet.=20
> > (nothing on b.d.o describes this)
> >=20
>
> The problem is acutally bug #82095 in wvdial, and I have worked around=20
> it.

Oh man! I could never figure out why the permissions on my modem never allowed
used to use it! Been wondering why group ownership and all that failed and why I
needed to su to change the priviledges for the modem everytime. I too use
Debian.
This has been a mystery for about a year. I just ended up making wvdial or kppp
suid root. :-)