2003 Aug 04 18:33

[vox-tech] Securing SSH

I know the title is kind of redundant, but I was curious if there is
anything beyond these couple of steps that I have taken to secure ssh?

First I have edited the /etc/securetty to contain only these entries:
tty1
tty2
tty3
tty4
tty5
tty6

This is to allow root to login from the local console only.  I have also
edited the sshd_conf file to disallow root logins.  This box is sitting
behind a router that only has port 22 forwarded to this machine and I have
setup the router so that it does not respond to ping request from the
outside world.  The final thing, I could think of is to set hosts.allow to
the certain IPís that I might connect from, but I would like to connect
from anywhere to this machine.  Is there anything else that I might
consider to help keep the machine secure?