2003 Jul 30 15:35

[vox-tech] python: slicing extensions from file names

Norm Matloff wrote:

> <snip>
>
> By the way, I can't resist urging all you Perl users out there to switch
> to Python. :-)  It's much cleaner and elegant than Perl, and a joy to
> program in.

Python is a joy because its structure encourages the construction of
classes, thereby increasing readability and reusability. Also, its syntax
allows you to put simple "driver" code at the bottom of classes
to easily test your work.

For example, lets say you have a "person" class having the "move" operation.

#!/usr/bin/python
class person:
    # Instantiation
    # -------------
    def __init__( self, first_name, last_name ):
        self.first_name = first_name
        self.last_name = last_name
        self.street_address = ''
        self.city = ''
        self.state = ''
        self.zip_code = ''

    def move(   self,
                street_address,
                city,
                state,
                zip_code ):
        self.street_address = street_address
        self.city = city
        self.state = state
        self.zip_code = zip_code

# Test driver
if ( __name__ == "__main__" ):
    fred = person( 'Fred', 'Jones' )
    fred.move( '555 Elm St.', 'Davis', 'CA', '95822' )

I've seen examples of Perl showing class creation, but does it have
this ability to easily test them?