2003 Jul 29 14:06

Re: [vox-tech] python: slicing extensions from file names

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:37:27PM -0700, Norm Matloff wrote:

> By the way, I can't resist urging all you Perl users out there to
> switch to Python. :-)

The advantages of Python are clear, but I'd say switching isn't
necessary.  Better to learn both and use the language that best fits the
task.  If you want to script a simple GUI with Tk, use Python.  If
you're manipulating huge flat files, use Perl.

> It's much cleaner and elegant than Perl,

Cleaner, maybe.  More elegant, arguably no.

David Hummel
Genomics & Gene Discovery
WRRC/ARS/USDA