2003 Jul 29 20:39

[vox-tech] console question

does anybody know what the precise difference is between

   /dev/console (5, 1)

and

   /dev/ttyX (4, X)

i've seen a bunch of things on google about this which i just don't
believe.

char major numbers 4 and 5 are listed as both TTY devices (actually,
major number 5 is an "alternate" TTY device).

anybody know what the difference is between the "system console" and
"virtual console"?

i was thinking of adding the line:

   10:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 console

and rerunning init, just to see what would happen, but i'm running an
important job on lucifer and don't want to experiment on satan...   ;)

thanks,
pete