2003 Jul 28 19:10

[vox-tech] cdrom access issue solved

Hello.

So I had problem accessing CDROM.  More specifically, I had trouble
ripping CDs as a user, but no problem as root.

Turns out the problem was with SCSI emulation layer I'm using to get
burning to work.  Apparently when you turn on SCSI emulation using
"ide-scsi" and "sg" modules, not only do you end up using /dev/scdN to
access your CD, but also using /dev/sgN as well.  So I needed to set
permissions on /dev/sgN properly in addition to /dev/scdN.

So if you want SCSI emulation working fully for your ATAPI/IDE CD device,
you gotta do ALL these:

   - Pass "hdX=ide-scsi" to kernel (where hdX is the CD drive device)
   - Load "ide-scsi" and "sg" modules
   - Set permissions on /dev/hdX, /dev/scdN, and /dev/sgN correctly
   - Point /dev/cdrom symlink to /dev/scdN

And depending on what you're doing with your CDROM, you'll either access
it using /dev/hdX, /dev/scdN (maybe via /dev/cdrom), *or* /dev/sgN.
*Very* intuitive, no? :P

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim