2003 Jul 24 17:09

[vox-tech] how to use newgrp

hi.  i'm having difficulty accessing the cdrom even though i think i
set all the permissions correctly.  so i'm thinking i should probably
use newgrp to switch groups to make use of the permissions, but it keeps
on asking for my password which i shouldn't need to switch to the group.

here's my permission setup:

   /dev/$ ls -la cdrom
   lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 May 13 12:56 cdrom -> scd0
   /dev/$ ls -la scd0
   brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Mar 14  2002 scd0
   /dev/$

my username is in the proper group:

   /etc/$ grep 'cdrom' group
   cdrom:x:24:mark
   /etc/$ id
   uid=1000(mark) gid=1000(mark) groups=1000(mark),23(cdrom)

but if i switch the group, i get prompted for password.  none of the
passwords i use on the system work:

   /etc/$ newgrp cdrom
   Password:
   Sorry.