2003 Jul 18 03:19

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

Hi--

using Mozilla, Sylpheed, AbiWord plus web/ssh/ftp/afp/mail servers on a
200mz 604e-based system with 200mb RAM seems to work fine,

i use fluxbox for my WM -- it is super fast, with very little mem reqs..

as for the 66/80/100mhz machines.... no X on those ones -- they are headless
servers... so not too sure how it would run on that..however i have run
gnome 1.0 on an 80mhz machine before... but it was pretty slow.

however! i have installed debian + X + openstep WM + webserver / php / mysql
on a 133mhz 603e-based system with only 48mb of ram. mainly used for
php/mysql dev while on the road...it runs quite well despite the fact that
it has no networking support. not sure how the other apps would behave on
it.

-dylan

on 03.7.18 5:49 AM, karthikeyan.balasubramanian at
karthikeyan.balasubramanian@aspiresys.com was reported to have writen:

> Hi Dylan,
>

>> i have found debian to be quite fast on older hardware- at least on the
> PPC
>> side of the pond -- been using it on a bunch of old 66mhz - 300mhz
> powermacs
>> for a couple years now -- and linux has been much fast at *most* things.
>>
>> -dylan
>
> You didnt tell me wheather you are using
> * browser (Opera, Galeon)
> * Open Office suite
> * Evolution
> In your system :).  You still think its fast with these
> applications.
>
> Have a great day.
>
> Karthikeyan B

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein