2003 Jul 18 03:19

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:

[snip]
> (Sawfish)Hmm i shall think
> about this one.  Can you show me some screenshots :).  I searched google
> but couldnt find it.
[snip]

Screenshots:

   http://sawmill.sourceforge.net/#screenshots

Some of the screenshots look like it's Sawfish with GNOME.  For lightness,
it'd be better to run it without GNOME.

Personally, I don't use Sawfish.  I use FVWM -- it's light, fast, and very
customizable in terms of controls.  Its memory footprint is less than 4MB
even with several FVWM apps running.  Unfortunately it doesn't look very
good so it doesn't do justice to how good Linux can look :)  But I've
heard good things about Sawfish, and it looks pretty decent, too.  I think
bill! <sic> uses or used it quite extensively.

[snip]
> > -Mark (just installed Debian on a Pentium 166 and happy, though w/o X)
> Ahh that why :).  No X huh

It's just a server at the moment.  I did used to run full RedHat and
Mandrake on it.  They did quite nicely, especially compared to Windows.
Windows[95] chugged the hard drive all too often trying to swap memory,
while Linux with FVWM had plenty to spare and then some.  BTW, the system
had (and still does) 48MB of RAM.  WindowsNT takes more RAM than 95 so
it'd be no contest between NT and Linux.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim