2003 Jul 20 08:24

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

Hi Bill,

> What version of Windows are they using now?
WinNT 4.0 Workstations

>I'm sure that the latest KDE or GNOME with Mozilla and
> OpenOffice.org would be MUCH slower than a Windows 3.1 box running Mosaic
on the same hardware. ;^)
:(

> (Sorry if I'm being fesicious ;^) )
No problems :)

> Always one to recommend Debian, I'd like to recommend Debian! ;^)
I will try that in my system first :)

> I'm using a couple of apt sources for OpenOffice.org and Mozilla for my
wife's and my system
> (personally, I run Konqueror; if I need Moz, I run Galeon ;^) )

Yea i too use Galeon in my system.  It takes 10 sec to load but subsequent
access is pretty
fast.  I like Konqueror cause its rendering is bit nicer then Galeon :).

My hardware conf :
P4(1.4 Ghz), 256 MB RAM

> To keep things like, actually, you might also want to consider Galeon or
another Mozilla 'Gecko' engine
> based browser (Phoenix? Or, wait? What did it end up getting named?)

Now they told me their site looks hay wire with Mozilla and since Galeon is
Mozilla based wont make
much difference either, so they are asking me for Opera.  Not a problem for
me, i can just download
and install it for them :).

> If they suit the _technical_ and _compatibility_ needs, I'd suggest
Abiword and Gnumeric, or
> maybe even the KOffice suite, over OpenOffice.org.  OOo is great, but it
is a large, slow-loading
> program. :^/

I personally use Abiword, but since OO comes with everything they wanted
just makes a nice
grouping :).  May be i should create shortcuts for them for Abiword,
Gnumeric.

> Other than OOo's "Impress," I can't think of any GUI-based
PowerPoint-style applicaiton, off the
> top of my head.

Now can i just download OO "Impress" separately and install rather
installing the whole
OO suite.

> As for Outlook, there's Evolution (never used it), Balsa (probably not
featureful enough?), and of
> course web-mail based solutions, like Squirrel mail.

Yeah i heard that Evolution looks exact copy of $M Outlook so suits me :).

> Another idea is to use these low-end desktops as thin clients, then run
all of the large applications
> on a BIG server in a back room.  See LTSP.  There's even an
OpenMosix-based Knoppix distro out there,
> for running all the thin clients as a cluster.  Bwahahahaha.  (No, I've
never done it myself :) )

Now they just want to try with one system and based on the performance they
would
like to adopt it on many system.

> Good luck!
Thanks :)