2003 Jul 17 23:50

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

Hi Mark,

> In the configuration you describe, the bottleneck will probably be memory.
> WinNT will bottleneck at swapping memory.  Linux will run blazingly fast
> if you use a light window manager like Sawfish so I recommend ditching
> Gnome or KDE if you can help it.  Also, avoid a memory-hogging browser
> like Mozilla (unless you strip out everything but the browser.)

You always come up with Nice Idea.  I even thought about light version
of X but I just love KDE look :).  I thought if they see it would be quite
delighted.  Guess personal taste with my high end conf system would work
good but not for low end conf systems.  (Sawfish)Hmm i shall think
about this one.  Can you show me some screenshots :).  I searched google
but couldnt find it.

> I also second Dylan's opinion of Debian.  But RedHat may work okay.
>
> -Mark (just installed Debian on a Pentium 166 and happy, though w/o X)
Ahh that why :).  No X huh

Karthikeyan B