2003 Jul 18 00:38

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

In the configuration you describe, the bottleneck will probably be memory.
WinNT will bottleneck at swapping memory.  Linux will run blazingly fast
if you use a light window manager like Sawfish so I recommend ditching
Gnome or KDE if you can help it.  Also, avoid a memory-hogging browser
like Mozilla (unless you strip out everything but the browser.)

I also second Dylan's opinion of Debian.  But RedHat may work okay.

-Mark (just installed Debian on a Pentium 166 and happy, though w/o X)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   We are planning to put linux on our old systems where
> our marketting people work extensively on
>
> * browsers
> * $M Word
> * $M Excel
> * $M PowerPoint
> * $M Outlook Express
>
> System conf
> -----------------
> old cyrex guess its should be in the
> range of 200 to 400 Mhz
> with 32 to 64 MB RAM.
> running on WinNT
>
> Now they challenged me that Linux
> OpenOffice, Browsers cant run faster then their Windoze speed.
> I would like to take this as a challenge and want to install
> a flavour of linux which works bit faster then Windoze with
> that configuration.
>
> Any suggestion hints would be very helpful to get me
> equiped beforehand.
>
> Should i try 6.2 version of linux(Redhat).
>
> Have a great day.
>
> Karthikeyan B

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/