2003 Jul 16 23:03

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Compilation - RPM Installation

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Compilation - RPM Installation

It's not too clear what you are asking. If you download and install/upgrade a RedHat rpm-packaged kernel, the kernel installs and automatically edits your boot loader (on Redhat systems anyway). No compilation is necessary. Older kernels are not removed and remain as boot options in your boot loader.

You can also get an rpm of Redhat's kernel source, which is just a super-hacked version of whatever kernel version it is. This you can further configure and compile yourself. Due to the hacks, I have found that many custom configurations do not work with their kernel source, and you are better off using the mainstream kernel releases.

Jonathan

karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:
Hi All,

Just wondering
Is installing rpm version of kernel easiest way to go about this job?

Anybody out there played with rpm version of kernel?

I would like to try this cause I would find this one must more easier for newbie like making.
Instead of remembering 7 to 8 commands, copy files to /boot, linking
process grrr.

PS : Anything which automates this whole process are welcome.
RPM is just one way I know about but would like to try based on
suggestions and recommendations.

Have a great day.

Karthikeyan B