January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jul 16 10:38

Re: [vox-tech] ATA133 120GB HD okay to use with Pentium I?

Re: [vox-tech] ATA133 120GB HD okay to use with Pentium I?

so just the bios issue?  so if i piggy back the hd on top of a smaller hd
or a CD with linux on it, it should recognize it, right?

is there a way to tell whether the bios will recognize the new hd without
actually trying it out?  by looking at some bios options or such?

thanks!

-Mark

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Ricardo Anguiano wrote:

> "Mark K. Kim" <markslist@cbreak.org> writes:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I got a ATA133 120GB Maxtor hard drive.  Would this work on a
> > Pentium I with a (I think) ATA33 controller?  I don't see why it
> > wouldn't, but the guy at CompUSA told me it probably won't even
> > boot.  Just thought I'd check before I open the box and face the
> > wrath of a 15% restocking fee.
>
> I have a PC from 1996 which does not recognize drives larger than 8G.
> A third party controller was required to recognize larger drives.  I
> used a Promise controller IIRC, which has it's own BIOS.  The problem
> lies with the original BIOS.
>
> HTH,
> --
> Ricardo Anguiano