2003 Jul 16 02:31

Re: [vox-tech] NFS mount "RPC: Timed out" error

Re: [vox-tech] NFS mount "RPC: Timed out" error

--On Monday, July 14, 2003 13:35:20 -0700 Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

Shouldn't nfsd be in there?
*shrug*  Sure?!  Why not? ;)  Like I said, it worked previously, and I
know I didn't mess with hosts.allow between the time it /was/ working
and now, but I'll try it anyway...
Err, isn't hosts.allow the TCP wrappers config file? NFS usually runs over udp in a lan environment; I don't see how TCP wrappers could be involved.

For the host in question, I get back:

   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100005    1   udp    630  mountd
    100005    2   udp    630  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    633  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    633  mountd
Hmm, you should have entries for lockd and statd (I think) in there. The timeout could be from the client trying to contact lockd on the server, but I don't know if that happens at mount time.

It'd be helpful to to know exactly what rpc program/version the client is trying to invoke when it times out. Could you snoop the network during a mount attempt? If it's trying to talk to nfsd, then the question is why nfsd is ignoring the client. If the client is trying to talk to lockd, then the question is why lockd isn't running.

Before I go much further... is there any chance at all that this could
be a kernel issue on mountING system?  (The one trying to make the NFS
connection to the mountED server)
Shrug, anything's possible. It'd be nice to know exactly what is failing before leaping for the kernel, though.

--
Kenneth Herron Kherron@newsguy.com 916-366-7338