2003 Jul 08 12:23

Re: [vox-tech] compiling tutorial

Pete

I am actually teaching myself c++ at the moment, with very little previous programming knowledge. It looks like your guide will be useful to me; I just have to replace gcc with g++!

After a short peruse, it looks good. I would recommend making a pdf as well as a ps. For us folks coming from the land of the GUI (which I assume includes these high schoolers), we like to use Acrobat Reader. Use a good dvi->pdf translator, such as dvipdfm. I like pdf's because the text is searchable and can be copy-pasted.

Jonathan

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
hi all,

i'm teaching a summer class on numerical physics and robotics to high
school kids.  i wrote a tutorial on how to compile programs on linux.

the design goal is to write something short and brief, because the
longer it is, the less people will really read it.  i'd rather give them
half-truths by omission and be functional than detailed and accurate and
have them not learn a flippin thing.

if anybody cares to send me comments, you can find the tutorial at:

www.dirac.org/compiling.ps
www.dirac.org/compiling.tex
www.dirac.org/compiling.Makefile

remember, these are high schoolers who probably won't read something too
long or too advanced.  i've definitely had to make some hard decisions
with this thing.  stuff i'm looking for:

1. outright mistakes
2. grammar/spelling (within reason)
3. whether i belabor a point too much
4. whether i belabor a point not enough

send comments to my email address.

the class starts wednesday, so comments prolly won't be useful after
then.  :)

thanks!
pete