2003 Jun 30 15:01

Re: [vox-tech] Compiling C into Java bytecode?

Re: [vox-tech] Compiling C into Java bytecode?

> as for the quote above, i have two comments:
>
> 1. you cannot logically infer that the std library is a part of the
>    library.

I'm assuming the second "library" was meant to be "language"; and I
have to politely disagree with you there.

The scope section of ISO international standards are intended to
completely and entirely convey the scope and content of the
document. If it says that this standard specifies A, and does not
elaborate, then that is all the standard does.

I understand the reasoning you probably mean, though: under many
circumstances, a sentence such as the above could break down to:

  A contains B

which, obviously, does not preclude the possibility that

  A contains C

for any C. However, things don't really work that way with standards
for the most part; certainly, every regular I know in comp.lang.c
reads it as

  A *is* B.

Which would imply that the standard library is part of the language
definition.

This is also far from unusual (BTW, I was wrong about C++ - it too
includes the library facility definitions as part of the language
definition as a whole). It has been pretty common in language
specifications to consider the entire specification to define a
language, and for that specification to include a standard library
which is considered part of the language.

Incidentally, K&R has not been the authoritative definition of the C
language since 1989, when it was first standardized by ANSI (and, in
the following year, by ISO).

-Micah