2003 Jun 30 19:17

[vox-tech] AVI to MPEG

So I have a new Canon PowerShot digital camera that can take movies.
It saves them in AVI format:

  $ file *.avi
  mvi_0054.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI
  mvi_0056.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI

MPlayer reports:

  VIDEO:  [MJPG]  320x240  24bpp  15.00 fps  1670.3 kbps (203.9 kbyte/s)
  mjpeg: workarounding buggy AVID
  VDec: vo config request - 320 x 240 (preferred csp: Planar 422P)
  VDec: using Packed YUY2 as output csp (no 1)
  Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
  VO: [xv] 320x240 => 320x240 Packed YUY2

I don't really understand what all that means. :^)  My main question is:
is there any easy way, under Linux, to convert this kind of AVI into an MPEG
video format?  (e.g., something SMPEG can play back under an SDL app? :^) )

Thanks!