2003 Jun 25 20:38

Re: [vox-tech] ps2 mouse not working (fwd)

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Ken Bloom wrote:

> There's imps2, exps2, fuimps2
> There's ps2, fups2
> There's autops2

I have tried giving the first three and the last one to gpm with no better
luck.  They all act like "ps2", which doesn't handle the wheel.

gpm is repeating raw to gpmdata... not feeding a protocol to it.

I tried turning gpm off and directing X at /dev/psaux instead of gpmdata,
and it still can't recognize the wheel.  I don't think gpm is at fault.

> I've been using exps2 for my mouse. Please also see the discussion I
> pointed out regarding why Debian gpm is fubar.

Some of the discussion you referred to was about protocols, and some was
about device sharing.  I am not trying to share the device... that has
been broken for a long time.

I was under the impression that X has its own input libraries for
processing mouse data... so I don't expect bugs in gpm to show up in X
independently.  (Actually, I am not sure how to find the definitive list
of valid options for the X "Protocol" option for the InputDevice
section... I have always started from working example files.)

It seems to me like the mysterious USB handoff to /dev/psaux is still a
suspicious actor, but I haven't been able to figure out how that is
happening.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing