2003 Jun 23 11:00

Re: [vox-tech] Shell Scripting Question: Getting a directory name from a 'find' result

On Monday 23 June 2003 10:54 am, Richard Crawford wrote:
> Suppose I have a short script as such:
>
> find . -name 'wwwboard.html' -print | while read i
> do
>   print $i
> done
>
> how can I pass the name of the directory where $i lurks to another
> variable, such as $dir?

Well, you could do something like:

MYDIR=$PWD
find . -name 'wwwboard.html' -print | while read i
do
  print $i
done

there's other ways to do it of course, $PWD is the pwd, but if you call cd you
will change it.  You could also use `pwd`  in a variable to...

Mike

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org
Mike Wenk