2003 Jun 19 04:09

Re: [vox-tech] SM56 Motorola Query

Karthikeyan

I have recently configured "winmodems" in RH9 on two different systems, but they were not Motorola (they were Lucent and Conexant). Anyway, it seems that your modem has some limited Linux support directly from Motorola. This is unfortunate because they have not supported it beyond RH7.1, but no one in the Linux community has picked it up.

Anyway, you may be able to troubleshoot a little. I think it is rare for modems to be automagically detected, especially winmodems. You need to manually tell your PPP software which device to look (e.g. /dev/modem if there is a proper symlink). Also, specific kernel modules often need to load before the modem will work. You can check to see if they exist in /lib/modules/, and you can run /sbin/depmod to check whether all your modules will load properly. Hope this helps.

Jonathan

karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:
Hi,

  Is it true that SM56 Motorola Modem wont run on Redhat 9.0 kernel
2.4.20-8.

  Oh btw i also installed their driver which they have put in ther website.
and run the sm56setup program
 but when i try to run kppp it say modem not found.  After this only i
decided may be i should keep a
lower version of kernal.

I tried to install lower version of kernel 2.4.2-2.rpm but unfortunately the
filesystem i have is a journalized one and after making entry in
/etc/grub.conf for the old kernel and when i did a reboot i was able to see
the old kernel in the
grub list but when i select i get an Error complaining about filesystem and
also a File not found error.  Guess
the first error has something to do with my currect filesystem being
journalized and next one i m not sure
cause i m pointing to the right vxlinuz file in the grub.conf.

  That puts the questions
 1. can i convert my existing filesystem from ext3 to ext2, sure vice versa
is possible
 2. anybody out there have any luck with sm56 motorola modem.

  Going to play around with redhat linux 9.0 more so before i break
something any help would be helpful :).

  Have a great day.

Karthikeyan B