2003 Jun 16 22:28

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Run Levels

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 10:57:30PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 10:44:52PM -0700, Ryan Castellucci wrote:
> >
> > On Friday 13 June 2003 10:24 pm, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > > I just installed Debian 3.0r1 onto my ancient (5 years old!) Gateway
> > > Solo 2500 laptop computer.  Now, I like having X and GNOME as options
> > > for when I'm using this computer, but since the display looks pretty
> > > crappy, I'd prefer to do everything via the console.  What run level do
> > > I set the default to on inittab so that it won't start X automatically?
> >
> > 3
>
> This is an excellent opportunity to point out the package filerc. It replaces
> the /etc/rc.* system that most folks find intimidating with an easy-to-edit
> single configuration file. To quote the package description:
>
> 	This package provides an alternative mechanism to boot the system, to
> 	shut it down and to change runlevels.  The /etc/rc?.d/* links will be
> 	converted into one single configuration file /etc/runlevel.conf
> 	instead, which is easier to administrate than symlinks, and is also
> 	more flexible.
>
> 	The package will automatically convert your existing symlinks into
> 	the file method on installation, and convert the file back into
> 	symlinks on removal. Both mechanisms are compatible through
> 	/etc/init.d/rc, /etc/init.d/rcS, /usr/sbin/update-rc.d, and
> 	/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d scripts.
>
> Highly recommended.

Unfortunately, file-rc in testing is incompatible with sysvinit in
testing. Upgrading to both out of unstable required me to use dpkg-deb
to get inside sysvinit's deb to restore update-rc.d before sysvinit's
installation would complete. Buyer-beware.

My PGP key was last signed 6/10/2003 please download my key again if
it is more recent than your copy. If you use GPG, *please* talk to
me to sign it. The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu