2003 Jun 16 22:30

[vox-tech] RedHat login (previously, Re: [vox] Mandrake vs. SuSe?)

[vox-tech] RedHat login (previously, Re: [vox] Mandrake vs. SuSe?)

karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:
Hi,

>Jonathan wrote:
I have only used RedHat, so I can't comment on Mandrake vs. SuSe.  I
have a comment about using KDE with RedHat, though.  By default, I agree
that RedHat is not KDE friendly.  However, by simply having the lines

DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
DESKTOP="KDE"

in the file "/etc/sysconfig/desktop" will make kdm the login manager
(rather than gdm) and KDE the default windows manager (rather than
Gnome).  This will also give you a logout/shutdown/reboot menu when you
choose "logout" from the Kmenu (no root password required).  All
cosmetic changes (e.g. changing the Kmenu icon to something other than
the "red hat") can be done from KDE's "control center".

Hmm Interesting.  I use Redhat 9.0 and You dont have to do any configuration
like the one you mentioned to make KDE as your default desktop manager.
Just choose
which type of Desktop Manager you want and it will ask you whether you want
to make this as your default one (say "Yes") and bingo that will become your
default
desktop manager.  I repeat i havent done any conf changes.  It does all by
itself.
May be you guys using older version of Redhat.  I m quite interested in what
version
of Redhat you guys have.

Just sharing my thoughts guys :).
I am currently using RedHat 9, but have previously used 7.3 and 8.0. The simple edit I mention above has worked for all of these versions. In my non-technical jargon, I'd like to note the difference between the "login manager" (aka display manager) and "desktop environment" (aka windows manager). From RedHat's default login (gdm), it is easy to choose the desktop environment, at which point it may ask if you want this to be default. This sounds like what Karthikeyan describes. I have never seen a GUI which asks which _login manager_ you want to use. As far as I know, this can only be changed by editing /etc/sysconfig/desktop. I learned this from reading the RH8 release notes.

Jonathan