2003 Jun 16 21:18

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Run Levels

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 10:44:52PM -0700, Ryan Castellucci wrote:

> On Friday 13 June 2003 10:24 pm, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > I just installed Debian 3.0r1 onto my ancient (5 years old!) Gateway
> > Solo 2500 laptop computer.  Now, I like having X and GNOME as options
> > for when I'm using this computer, but since the display looks pretty
> > crappy, I'd prefer to do everything via the console.  What run level do
> > I set the default to on inittab so that it won't start X automatically?
>
> 3

This is an excellent opportunity to point out the package filerc. It replaces
the /etc/rc.* system that most folks find intimidating with an easy-to-edit
single configuration file. To quote the package description:

	This package provides an alternative mechanism to boot the system, to
	shut it down and to change runlevels.  The /etc/rc?.d/* links will be
	converted into one single configuration file /etc/runlevel.conf
	instead, which is easier to administrate than symlinks, and is also
	more flexible.

	The package will automatically convert your existing symlinks into
	the file method on installation, and convert the file back into
	symlinks on removal. Both mechanisms are compatible through
	/etc/init.d/rc, /etc/init.d/rcS, /usr/sbin/update-rc.d, and
	/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d scripts.

Highly recommended.

--
Henry House