2003 Jun 09 16:58

Re: [vox-tech] vim and utf-8 support (newbie alert)

Re: [vox-tech] vim and utf-8 support (newbie alert)

yeah-- well hopefuly emacs will get with the game on these crazy 2-byte
characters!! hehe..

the main reason i stick with the macos on my main computer is the excellent
japanese support.

but again, unicode is as neat a concept as it is a useful tool...but when
will my favorite terminal emulator (eterm) support it???

-dylan

on 03.6.9 4:07 PM, Micah J. Cowan at micah@cowan.name was reported to have
writen:

> On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 03:36:55PM -0700, dylan wrote:
>> I am not sure about emacs- from my experience japanese (encoded with EUC,
>> JIS,or Shift-JIS) can easily converted to unicode based on mapping tables
>> available from the Unicode website.
>
> Yup. And on the disk that comes with the book version. However, it's
> still annoying that Emacs won't support it directly: and of course,
> I'd have to convert it *back* into EUC, JIS, or whatever before I
> could pull it back into Emacs again...
>
>> the only limitations that will exist
>> here are shortcomings in the software, or the use of about 1000 kanji from
>> the JEF character set that are not part of the unicode character set.
>
> These were hardly in general use: they exist in historical documents
> primarily. However, this is still important, and Unicode has already
> made "extensive additions of CJK characters to cover dictionaries and
> historic usage." in version 4.0.
>
>> for all practical purposes, at least with the software that i am using on
>> the MacOS, it is quite easy to go between the main 3 encodings
>> (EUC,JIS,Shift-JIS) and unicode.
>
> Yup. As I said, I was just speaking of Emacs. :(
>
> -Micah

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein