2003 Jun 09 16:18

Re: [vox-tech] vim and utf-8 support (newbie alert)

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 03:36:55PM -0700, dylan wrote:
> I am not sure about emacs- from my experience japanese (encoded with EUC,
> JIS,or Shift-JIS) can easily converted to unicode based on mapping tables
> available from the Unicode website.

Yup. And on the disk that comes with the book version. However, it's
still annoying that Emacs won't support it directly: and of course,
I'd have to convert it *back* into EUC, JIS, or whatever before I
could pull it back into Emacs again...

> the only limitations that will exist
> here are shortcomings in the software, or the use of about 1000 kanji from
> the JEF character set that are not part of the unicode character set.

These were hardly in general use: they exist in historical documents
primarily. However, this is still important, and Unicode has already
made "extensive additions of CJK characters to cover dictionaries and
historic usage." in version 4.0.

> for all practical purposes, at least with the software that i am using on
> the MacOS, it is quite easy to go between the main 3 encodings
> (EUC,JIS,Shift-JIS) and unicode.

Yup. As I said, I was just speaking of Emacs. :(

-Micah