2003 Jun 06 11:22

Re: [vox-tech] Shell Scripting Question

--On Friday, June 06, 2003 10:37:04 -0700 Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:
ever since i learned perl a year or two ago, i literally haven't touched
shell scripting other than reading other people's scripts, so i'm a bit
rusty, however, i think bourne style conditionals have the form:

if [ condition ]
then
do something
fi

or:

if test condition
then
do something
fi
Any command (or pipeline) can follow the if. "test condition" and "[ condition ]" are just commands commonly used here. Something like this is perfectly legal:

if mkdir -p $workingdir
then
cd $workdir
else
# mkdir would have printed an error message
exit 1
fi

Although my scripts generally create directories like this:

[ -d $dir ] || mkdir -p $dir || exit 1

--
Kenneth Herron Kherron@newsguy.com 916-366-7338