2003 Jun 06 10:18

Re: [vox-tech] Re: debian login

On 2003.06.05 11:19, stoatspam@fastmail.fm wrote:
It is true that X won't work. But I don't think it shoudld be starting
up
before I login anyway. My login screen is just plain old text.
If your *observation* is that X shouldn't be starting up before you log in (because when your login prompt finally appears, it's a text-based login), then I ought to explain to you that there is a classification of software called "display managers" whose purpose is to start the X server at startup and then display a graphical login box. If your X server is not working, then your computer will try 3 times to start the X server before it gives up. During this time, your screen may blink or flicker as the X server tries to switch to a graphical display. The solution to this problem is to get your X server configured correctly (and this will cause you to get a graphical login at startup) or to disable the display manager (this will cause you to get a text-based login at startup). If your *philosophy* is that it shouldn't be starting up before you log in, then make sure your display managers (gdm, xdm, kdm, wdm) are disabled/uninstalled.

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C 941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu