2003 Jun 04 16:58

Re: [vox-tech] fonts and web pages

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:15:23AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i'm picking on garamond, but the questions apply to all fonts...

[...]

>    can i use <FONT> to instruct a browser to use Monotype's Garamond
>    instead of Freetype's?   something along the lines of:
>
>    <FONT face="garamond" foundry="monotype">hello world</FONT>
>    <FONT face="garamond" foundry="freetype">hello world</FONT>
>    <FONT face="garamond" foundry="xft">hello world</FONT>

Nope...

> i'm asking because:
>
> a. i'd like to compare fonts for myself (curiosity).
> b. freefont's garamond stinks.  you'd think that garamond is an
>    italic font since italic is the only family within freefont's
>    garamond.  but garamond is NOT an italic only font...

For copious font info, start Opera from a console with "opera -debugfont"

Opera has no concept of font substitution and will use the first
matching font that it finds.  So if the "garamond" that it is using is
ugly, then you'll have to assure that it finds a better looking one
first, or (assuming xft2) set up an alias in /etc/fonts/local.conf.

This applies to Opera 7, Opera 6 (qt2 based) used xft1 only.

-troy