January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jun 03 13:27

Re: [vox-tech] Unwanted ReBoot

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:32:57PM -0700, Jim Angstadt wrote:

> --- Jim Angstadt <jimajima9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- "Mark K. Kim" <markslist@cbreak.org> wrote:
> > > On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > apmd loads at 2, 3, 4, and 5.
> >
> > Do you think I should turn it off and then try
> > poweroff and shutdown?
>
> I turned off apmd and did 'shutdown -h now' which
> hung at 'Sending all processes the TERM signal',
> as has sometimes happened.
>
> Did another shutdown -h now' which rebooted.
>
> Apparently, apmd has no effect in this case.

Any chance this is an e-machines box? Some of them are know for this
sort of problem (My ex-roommate had this problem, and I've seen it
with a few other e-machines boxes when I was working at a repair
shop...plus it's pretty well documented on the web). The Diagnosis was
generally a bad power supply.