2003 Jun 03 11:22

Re: [vox-tech] Unwanted ReBoot

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:15:51AM -0700, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> Until recently I was able to 'poweroff' a Red Hat
> 8.0 box.
>
> Now the poweroff results in a reboot.
[...]
> As processes are shut down, the machine hangs
> after issuing the message
>    'Sending all processes the TERM signal'
>
> I let it sit in that state for many minutes
> before having to do a physical power off.

Jim,

  The "shutdown -Fr now" should not have changed anything... other than
that single reboot.  the -F requested filesystem check on next boot and
-r says you want to reboot instead of -h for halt.

  I am guessing that there was a kernel upgrade between when it powered
off and now that it doesn't... I say this because there is a option in
the kernel configuration that controls if the machine will be powered
off on halt or not.  If the machine is not set to halt, and you do a
halt style shutdown it should "just sit there" waiting for you to power
it off as you described.

===
Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF
  Use real mode APM BIOS calls to switch off the computer. This is
  a work-around for a number of buggy BIOSes. Switch this option on if
  your computer crashes instead of powering off properly.
===

  This will be buried somewhere in the APM menu.

  If you are sure the kernel didn't change (please double check)... there
may be other reasons your machine isn't powering off... so if you didn't
change the kernel let us know.

    Good Luck,
      Mike