2003 Jun 04 15:27

[vox-tech] Unwanted ReBoot

Hi All,

Until recently I was able to 'poweroff' a Red Hat
8.0 box.

Now the poweroff results in a reboot.  That is,
it looks like it is shutting down normally,
processes are stopped, and the screen goes black.
 But then the computer starts up, does the bios
thing, and begins to load the os.  The os loads
normally and I'm back at the command line, where
I would be for a normal start(runlevel 3).

When the bios checks are running, I can
physically power off the machine and all is well.

If I use 'shutdown -h now' the machine will also
reboot vs halt.

This weird behavior started shortly after I was
playing with the -Fr option for shutdown, as
mentioned by Mike in a post some weeks ago.

I also changed the fsck parms so that an fsck
would be done every 30 mounts or 3 months:
   tune2fs -c 30 -i 3m
for each of the physical partitions.
(thanks Mike, really.  I often try the stuff you
suggest to others.)

The only other possibly related symptom will
sometimes occur during 'poweroff' but not
'shutdown -h now':

As processes are shut down, the machine hangs
after issuing the message
   'Sending all processes the TERM signal'

I let it sit in that state for many minutes
before having to do a physical power off.

This RH system is used mainly by my wife at home,
so we can live with these little quirks, but I'd
rather not.  Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Jim