2003 May 30 14:07

Re: [vox-tech] Linux graphing software?

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 09:54:22AM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:11:24PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > Alexandra,
> >
> > In light of the conflicting suggestions, I thought I should mention that
> > sometimes you're supposed to put the file in .bashrc and sometimes it's
> > .bash_profile.  It really depends on the setup of your system.  I suggest
> > trying .bash_profile first, then .bashrc.
>
> Huh. I would strongly recommend the opposite. .bash_profile is only
> loaded when your shell is a *login* shell; it isn't loaded, e.g., when
> you open a terminal emulator in X. Most people (?) are setup so their
> .bash_profile automatically imports settings from .bashrc as well, so
> global things go in .bashrc, but login-only stuff goes in
> .bash_profile.

Considering how "most people" use X these days, Micah is correct on this.
I don't use a display manager -- I log into the console and start X if I
want to use it.  So, X and all it's children inherit the environment
from my login shell.  I figured setting ENV vars once in .bash_profile
is more efficient than setting it again in every subshell.  (Like it
really matters with modern hardware)

However, when login is via xdm,kdm etc., the stuff in .bash_profile is
*not* available.

Thanks for pointing that out, Micah.

-troy