2003 May 25 07:23

[vox-tech] Wireless card seems to "freeze" my wireless network

[vox-tech] Wireless card seems to "freeze" my wireless network

The computer:
	Sony Vaio laptop running Debian 3.0r1

The WAP: Linksys WAP11.

The wireless card:
	Netgear MA401 inserted into PCMCIA slot

When I boot up the computer, everything seems to work fine. The wireless
card is detected and the appropriate drivers loaded.  By default, my
computer activates eth0, my NIC card, instead of eth0, the Netgear
wireless card.  I run the following commands to activate my wireless
card:

# ifconfig eth0 down
# ifconfig eth1 up
# iwconfig eth1 essid "HOGWARTS"
# iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
# iwconfig eth1 key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx restricted
# dhclient eth1

And this gets my wireless card running, and I can browse the web, check
my e-mail, etc., just fine.

After about five minutes, however, the wireless network seems to
"freeze" or something.  At that point I can no longer get any wireless
connectivity at all, and neither can any other computer with a wireless
card on my network. If I shut down Debian on my laptop and boot into
Windows, my wireless card won't work at this point.  Power-cycling the
WAP seems to fix the problem, but that seems rather inelegant.

How could my wireless card be freezing the network like this?  What
should I be looking for?

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford