2003 May 23 11:31

[vox-tech] Dead GNOME on my laptop

Sounds messy, doesn't it?

I'm trying to get GNOME set up on my laptop.  It was originally running
1.4 just fine, but then I went and tried to upgrade to 2.2, and now it's
not working.  I suspect that GNOME 2.2 doesn't like the copy of XFree86
4.3.0 that I had to install to get any sort of graphical display on my
laptop at all.

I followed the directions at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200302/msg03865.html
and I think that was the problem.

When I power on, I get to the GDM just fine; but if I select a GNOME
session and log in, the screen flickers to the grey desktop for a
moment, then flickers back to the login screen.  I can log in to the
Debian graphical display just fine.

When I attempt "apt-get install gnome-core gdm gtk2-engines*", I get an
error message telling me about unsatisfied dependencies; going in
through aptitude doesn't help with this either.

I'd like to either get GNOME2.2 working, or at least get back to 1.4.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

On the upside, I've got my wireless card working under Debian.  I'm
pretty proud of myself for that.  :)

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford