2003 May 21 14:06

Re: [vox-tech] CD writer suggestions?

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 12:31 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Wed 21 May 03, 12:22 PM, Samuel Merritt <spam@andcheese.org> said:
> > On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 11:41:20AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > > Can someone recommend something reliable and easy-to-use under Linux?
> > > (My desktop system is IDE, so I'd just be swapping out my current IDE
> > > drive. I'd rather not spend time/energy adding SCSI to my system, as
> > > I'd like to replace it completely one of these days.)
> >
> > My Plextor burner has been completely reliable. No complaints at all.
>
> same here.  fwiw, if you look at the vox-tech archives, there have been
> many many more complaints about ide burners than native scsi burners.
>
> pete

I have three burners across three systems, and all are IDE.  All but one cost
less than 70$, and they all have worked pretty good.  Any of the problems
that I have had are attributable to the blanks that I use.  Some work better
than others.  For instance, when I use Memorex 700 MB blanks, I have not
burned one coaster.  Verbatim and Fuji I burn coasters more than not if my
burn speed is higher than 4X.  I believe that my linux systems have a Teac
and a Mitsumi burner in them, and I am not sure what's in my XP system(tho I
rarely use that to burn CDs.)

Mike

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org