2003 May 20 11:10

Re: [vox-tech] Telnetting to port 80 when you don't run telnet onthe server

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Jay Strauss wrote:

> Sorry, I suffer from not giving enough info.  My web server, sits on my
> woody box.  My woody box does not have telnetd installed.  From my client
> machine I'd like to:
>
> telnet www.mydomain.com 80
> GET index.html
>
> But can't do it (because I don't run telnetd).  Is there some workaround?  I
> can ssh to the host running the web server (could I do some sort of internal
> request??)

Pete's still right.  You don't need telnetd for that.  telnet basically
opens a socket to a port(default port is 23 IIRC.)  In the case of your
telnet foobar 80 example, you're overriding the default port and setting
it to 80.  httpd(or whatever you're calling apache) should be the server
listening on port 80, though, if you reset the port in apache to a
different #(running on a non privledged port for example) you need to
change the # to correspond to the port.  Also some distros have a mod_perl
enabled server that runs on a different port, ie, Mandrake 9.0 ran
mod_perl on port 8200(I guess its possible I could have switched it, but I
don't remember doing anything to it.) Also, if you're really still against
telnet, there is(or was, I havent used this since like 96) a tool called
netcat which did most of the functionality that telnet has, except it had
the added benefit that it did not requre a live tty on it, and as such was
quite a bit easier to use in a script.

Mike