2003 May 22 10:49

Re: [vox-tech] Exported X-windows - bandwidth req's

Re: [vox-tech] Exported X-windows - bandwidth req's

I've done it over 14.4kbps modem and ISDN (115kbps).  The problem isn't
the bandwidth but the latency.  Typing one character, then waiting for the
response takes forever over a dialup, though ISDN was better.  That's with
text connection, anyway, like an X term.

As for graphical apps, I tried to X a small graphical app over 14.4 and
found it wasn't too horrible if I was patient enough.  I also tried to X
MaxPlus II over ISDN, and it wasn't so bad except Max doesn't work well
remotely due to messy colors and bad interaction with the window manager
(colors are all dark and you can't shuffle it below other windows and you
can't unstick it...)

Anyway, it's worth a try if you wanna give it a shot.  Depending on what
you wanna do, it may or may not be bearable.  Good luck!

-Mark

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Richard Burkhart wrote:

> Would anyone happen to know how much bandwidth is needed to export windows
> from machine to machine?
>
> Specifically - I'm helping out a family member who'se fresh-to-linux ...
> problems are coming up ... trying to talk them through it is becoming a
> headache.  I'd like to go into Mozilla and figure out directly where the
> configuration is going wrong.
>
> But would I be out of my mind to try and do this between a pair of 56k
> modems (which of course won't upload any faster than 33,6)?
>
> How much information IS sent between machines for exported windows anyway?
>
> Danke

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.