January 6: Social gathering
2003 May 19 09:48

Re: [vox-tech] hdparm for scsi emulated CDROM drives?

Re: [vox-tech] hdparm for scsi emulated CDROM drives?

On Mon 19 May 03,  9:23 AM, Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> opined:
> At the installfest yesterday, we installed Debian onto my laptop; I didn't
> think that the installer was particularly unfriendly

has anyone complained about unfriendly installers before?

> (and I was thrilled
> speechless by the power of apt-get as compared to Red Hat's RPM
> process)... but, then, I also had Rusty Minden there to walk me through
> the entire process.  Heh.

dpkg and apt are the jewels of debian.

> I am having a problem with X and with my wireless card on my laptop,
> though.  The X server that is shipped with Debian Stable is not compatible
> with my laptop's video card (ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 64MB), so I imagine
> I'll need to figure out how to make the new version of XFree86 (which
> *does* support my video card) talk to Debian (suggestions and offers of
> help are more than welcome).

the lingo is "unsupported", not compatible (not a big deal.  just
thought i'd throw that in).  you can upgrade to testing xfree, and it's
easy.  mike simons told me about pinning, and a google search told me
the rest.

someone ... (sorry, i can't remember who) gave a *really* helpful link
about pinning.

http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

> I have no idea how to even get started with
> the wireless card, but that hasn't stopped me before.

don't know much about wireless cards, but there were some vox-tech
threads that might be helpful.  i'm sure there's a howto.  to be honest,
the whole pcmcia on linux thing is a black box to me.

pete