2003 May 16 15:40

RE: [vox-tech] un-tar failing on large job

RE: [vox-tech] un-tar failing on large job

(snip)

The same as what's in the online gentoo-x86 install instructions.

      tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage(2 or 3)-*.tar.bz2

It goes through a decent percentage of the expansion -- then fails out.  I'd
post the error if I was making this email from home ... but I ain't ...
ahwell.

> It would help to know what you're doing.  My guess is its either
> a bad file,
> bad hardware, or bad user.  :-)

Bad file -- I tried stage 2 and 3 off of the liveCD, plus a separately
downloaded copy of stage3*.tgz from the sandia mirror (which I MD5 checked).
All of them failed with the same error.  I'm thinking that it's not a file
issue - unless gentoo's posted bad install files this week.

Bad hardware -- we'll see once I put in the new SIMMs.

Bad user -- I'll NEVER disagree with that.  Might even accuse myself of it
first. ...

The question is ... *how* have I been bad, and can I get money from it if I
set up a webcam?