2003 May 14 23:59

[vox-tech] installing Debian

I am trying to install Debian on my 486. It has no bootable CD drive. I
was able to install it without any problems when I used the slink version
that came with this book Learning Debian Gnu/Linux. Because that was so
old I got a new CD image. With the old one I only needed the rescue
floppy image. To get into the install program with the new CD I needed
the rescue and the root floppy images. There were some errors too, before
the install program loaded. It said "modprobe: modprobe: canīt open
dependencies file /lib/modules/2.2.20/modules.dep" about 20 or 40 times
then it said it was starting something called "BusyBox" then it said the
same thing as before about 20 or 40 more times. Then it said "EXT2-fs
warning: checktime reached running e2fsck is reccommended" then it says
"UNIX NET4.0" is starting. Then the install program starts. There arenīt
any problems with that, and I create and initialize my main and swap
partitions just fine. Then it is time to "Install Kernel and Driver
Modules" so I do that and it automatically detects the stuff is on the CD
and then it says it is "extracting Rescue Floppy Image from mounted
medium" (I think). Then it says it is installing drivers and then it says
"Installation Error: There was a problem installing the Drivers from
/instmnt/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/drivers.tgz" so I press
continue and it takes me back to "Install Kernel and Driver Modules". I
do that again and it hangs on the part about the floppy image it passed
before. It says: "Floppy Error: The attempt to extract the Rescue Floppy
from the disk failed" and when I press continue it goes back to "Install
Kernel and Driver Modules" and when I do that it has the same floppy
error over and over again. I tried the load kernel modules from floppy
option but it couldnīt find them on the floppy. Maybe the CD is bad, but
Iīve taken good care of it. The only idea I have about the problem is
that a book I have says that if you have too many cards in a system with
VLBus it wonīt be good. Iīve got two VLBus cards (video, disk controller)
and a sound card, modem, and NIC, which I guess is a lot so maybe thatīs
the problem. That is the only idea I have and if I donīt get it fixed by
this weekend I will bring it to the installfest and maybe it can be
worked out there. Thanks.

                          unladen european swallow