2003 May 13 23:45

Re: [vox-tech] debian policy on /etc/rc.boot

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:33:09PM -0400, Mike Simons wrote:
>   I had heard at that /etc/rc.boot is deprecated and would be removed at
> some point in the future (reference from policy below)... but with that
> said *I* still use rc.boot for my own quick and simple startup tasks.
>
>   My stance is when it breaks I'll figure out what the new system is and
> use that instead.  :)

Hmmm... well the following would be awfully tempting for a script in
/etc/init.d/...

dondra:~# grep rc.boot /etc/init.d/rcS
#       For compatibility, run the files in /etc/rc.boot too.
[ -d /etc/rc.boot ] && run-parts /etc/rc.boot

> /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.txt.gz
> 10.3.4. Boot-time initialization
>      There used to be another directory, `/etc/rc.boot', which contained
>      scripts which were run once per machine boot.  This has been
>      deprecated in favour of links from `/etc/rcS.d' to files in
>      `/etc/init.d' as described in Section 10.3.1, `Introduction'.
>      Packages must not place files in `/etc/rc.boot'.

The way I read this is the use by packages is deprecated.  Yes, it's
somewhat ambigous and sounds like it's going away entirely, but that link
I provided stating it's available for sysadmin use kinda puts this in a
softer light.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/