2003 May 12 16:05

Re: [vox-tech] debian way to set hdparm and xset on start

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:34:40AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Mon 12 May 03, 11:30 AM, Rob Rogers <rob@wizardstower.net> opined:
> > On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:51:12AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > > hello...
> > >
> > > So I've finally switched to Debian and loving it.  ^_^
> > >
> > > I'm customizing the system now and not quite sure where the "debian" place
> > > is for executing `hdparm` commands at startup.  I don't wanna enable the
> > > DMA on my HDD everytime I boot the system.
> >
> > The best thing is to make sure your IDE chipset is included in the
> > kernel, and also that you have the "Use PCI DMA by default when
> > available" set also, and it will automatically use it. I didn't learn
> > this one until recently (actually didn't hav the right IDE chipset
> > selected in the kernel, and didn't realize that was my problem) and was
> > running hdparm manually when I rebooted (only about once a month or 2)
> > but now I don't have to anymore. :)
> >
> > Rob
>
> rob, just out of curiosity, when you had the wrong IDE chipset selected,
> did hdparm give you an error message indicating so?  or did it not do
> anything at all?

Nope, hdparm never gave me any errors, but I did have to run "hdparm -d1
/dev/hda" (and hdb, etc.) after every boot...Now the kernel enables it
automatically. A 'hdparm -d /dev/hda' right after a reboot shows it
enabled. My "didn't hav the right IDE chipset selected" should have
really read "Didn't have _any_ IDE chipset selected" ;)

> also, mark, i believe you can get the IDE chipset from "lspci".  here's
> mine:
>
> 00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

Mine is:
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

> so i choose "Intel PIIXn chipsets support" and "PIIXn Tuning support".

VIA82CXXX chipset support

> pete

Rob