January 6: Social gathering
2003 May 06 11:56

Re: [vox-tech] apt-get question - other branches

Re: [vox-tech] apt-get question - other branches

thanks mike,

begin Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:15:05PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i'm using testing.  this sounds like i can do:
> >
> >    apt-get install sox=12.17.4-4
> >
> > or:
> >
> >    apt-get install sox/unstable
>
> apt-get -t unstable install sox

should i file a bug report on apt?  the manpage seems to be wrong.

>   You would need unstable in your sources list and a pin for testing to
> be the default release.  If you don't have -t the dependencies of sox
> will all stay with testing, which will often prevent it from installing.
>
>   I don't have time to do a write up right now.

that's ok.  i'll RTFM about the -t option.

but i tried searching for "pin" in the apt, apt-get, dpkg, dpkg-deb and
deb-control man pages.  can't find any reference to it (except for one
reference in man apt-get which doesn't say much).

can you point me to a man of info page about pins?

or is it the same thing as a hold?

pete