2003 May 04 22:58

Re: [vox-tech] booting off cd help

On 2003.05.04 17:23, Mark K. Kim wrote:
On Sun, 4 May 2003, Ken Bloom wrote:

> On 2003.05.04 10:22, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
==8<--
> > how does the boot loader know to start reading data off a
> > different
> > device?
> >

> I'm not sure how it does it. (And I haven't experimented with it
either
> to ensure that it really works. I'll take Mark Kim's word for it.)

I've never done it myself on Linux either.  But I've done it with a
Windows98 install because the CD drive wasn't bootable (old BIOS.)

With the Windows system, the bootable floppy image on the CD booted in
DOS, and loaded a bunch of CD drivers, then "mounted" the CD drive and
ran the setup program on the CD drive.

I'd imagine the bootable floppy image on Linux loads a minimal kernel
with
the necessary CD driver and run the install program on the CD.  But
it's
not like I poked around to find out if that's how it works.

Anyway, as far as I understand that's how it works so it should work,
but
you never know! ^_^;

-Mark
I wasn't counting on you to tell me how it works. I'm just taking your word for it that it *does* work. (My guess is that the initrd on the floppy image does the grunt work of identifying the cd-rom drive.)

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C 941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu