2003 May 04 17:36

Re: [vox-tech] booting off cd help

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Ken Bloom wrote:

> On 2003.05.04 10:22, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
==8<--
> > how does the boot loader know to start reading data off a
> > different
> > device?
> >

> I'm not sure how it does it. (And I haven't experimented with it either
> to ensure that it really works. I'll take Mark Kim's word for it.)

I've never done it myself on Linux either.  But I've done it with a
Windows98 install because the CD drive wasn't bootable (old BIOS.)

With the Windows system, the bootable floppy image on the CD booted in
DOS, and loaded a bunch of CD drivers, then "mounted" the CD drive and
ran the setup program on the CD drive.

I'd imagine the bootable floppy image on Linux loads a minimal kernel with
the necessary CD driver and run the install program on the CD.  But it's
not like I poked around to find out if that's how it works.

Anyway, as far as I understand that's how it works so it should work, but
you never know! ^_^;

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim