2003 May 04 10:36

Re: [vox-tech] booting off cd help

begin Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu>

> On 2003.05.03 18:06, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> >well, let's say i want to boot a knoppix CD (which would've really
> >have
> >been helpful).  how would i go about doing that?  something like
> >
> >dd if=/dev/hdd of=/dev/fd0 count=something?
> >

> dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

so i guess dd stops automatically without printing an error message
when the output file has no more space left, but the input file still
has 649MB left to go?

> and FYI, since apparently the boot image can have any name, this the
> `file` output looks like for the boot image, so you can find it if you
> can't tell by the name.
>
> [bloom@kabloom KNOPPIX]% file boot.img
> boot.img: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3c, OEM-ID "SYSLINUX", FAT  1,
> root entries 16, sectors 2880 (volumes <=32 MB) , sectors/FAT 9, serial
> number 0x3e2987b9, label: "           ", FAT (12 bit)
>
> (if you're actually going to use KNOPPIX, I suggest using the boot-en.
> img boot image, and not the boot.img image as I'm not sure what
> language boot.img will boot you into.)

i feel this is a stupid question, but if you create a floppy with

   dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

and boot off the floppy, the rest of the boot will take place off the
CD?  how does the boot loader know to start reading data off a different
device?

pete