January 6: Social gathering
2003 May 04 10:23

Re: [vox-tech] booting off cd help

On 2003.05.03 18:06, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
well, let's say i want to boot a knoppix CD (which would've really
have
been helpful).  how would i go about doing that?  something like

dd if=/dev/hdd of=/dev/fd0 count=something?

dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

and FYI, since apparently the boot image can have any name, this the `file` output looks like for the boot image, so you can find it if you can't tell by the name.

[bloom@kabloom KNOPPIX]% file boot.img
boot.img: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3c, OEM-ID "SYSLINUX", FAT 1, root entries 16, sectors 2880 (volumes <=32 MB) , sectors/FAT 9, serial number 0x3e2987b9, label: " ", FAT (12 bit)

(if you're actually going to use KNOPPIX, I suggest using the boot-en.
img boot image, and not the boot.img image as I'm not sure what language boot.img will boot you into.)

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C 941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu