2003 May 03 18:46

Re: [vox-tech] booting off cd help

begin Troy Arnold <troy-vox@zenux.net>
> On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 05:11:23PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > today i had to recover a linux system with filesystem damage.
> >
> > it made a bad situation worse when i found that even when BIOS is set to
> > boot off of cd first (any CD), it doesn't work.  the system ignores the
> > CD in the drive and boots off of the hard disk instead.
> >
> > i verified that the CD were bootable on another machine.  this machine
> > simply does not boot off of a CD despite the boot order in BIOS.
> >
> > what could cause such a thing?  the CD drive is kind of old, but i don't
> > think that would make a difference.  perhaps there are some other BIOS
> > options i'm not familiar.
> >
> > any guesses to help me out?
>
> Can you tell it not to try and boot from the hard drive at all?

ok, just tried.  nada.  even worse, bios is completely incapable of
detecting my IDE devices.

it detects primary master/slave all wrong and hangs no matter what i do
when it tries to detect the secondary master (which is an 80GB drive).

the cdrom drive (which works fine otherwise) is the secondary slave.

it's a dual celeron machine, so the bios can't be THAT old...

> Tried any other bootable CD's ?

unfortunately, lots of them.   :(

this is starting to feel like a losing battle to me.  :(

pete